Sunday, January 30, 2011

Homemade Salsa and Guacamole




You know what's ironic about my sharing this recipe?  Although I am a hispanic from South Texas, I got these recipes from a white lady in Arkansas!  I thought I'd share these just in time for the Super Bowl, if you need classic party food ideas. You'll need a food processor or blender for this.  This recipe makes around 36-48 ounces of salsa (I've never actually measured it)... but it keeps well in the fridge (it gets hotter the longer it sits), and I always make fresh guacamole with the salsa.  Enjoy!

~Leah


Salsa
purple onion (about 1/2), peeled and cut into quarters
garlic (fresh 1 clove diced or 1 tsp minced/jarred)
handful fresh cilantro - stems and all
1/2 lime (juice only)
1 tsp salt
small can (4 oz.) diced green chiles, undrained -- I use "mild"
large can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 Tblsp. jalapeno (jarred) OR 1 fresh -- I use fresh, chopped, and I only put half the seeds in - the seeds are what gives it it's "hotness" - it makes it a notch above mild, which is how I like it.  You should put as many or as little seeds as you prefer.

In the order listed above, add each ingredient to the food processor and chop.  Voila!


Guacamole
4 avocadoes
Lawry's seasoning salt (or jalapeno salt, in Mexican spice section)
1/2 lime
salsa from previous recipe

Mash the avocadoes with a fork in a shallow bowl.  Put in several generous spoonfuls of the salsa and stir, until it "looks about right."  Squeeze in 1/2 lime, and season with salt.  Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment